Kharidi Palamma Primary School was founded around 1905 in Halepet, Birur. It was set up in a small house donated by Smt. Kharidi Palamma, a widow and a local philanthropist. Many children from the surrounding locality have attended this elementary school for over a hundred years. It has operated continuously during all these years and is operating in its current building for over fifty years. During the last twenty years, the physical conditions of the school building have not kept up with the increase in the number of students. In 2004, there were only three classrooms to accommodate five grades of students. There were an average of twenty students in each class and a total of three teachers at this government operated primary school.
This is the first project undertaken by BEFC. Starting in 2004, BEFC has worked with the teachers, parents, and students of the school to provide special uniforms, books, and school bags to the students.
During 2005 and 2006, BEFC working in cooperation with Round Table India - 116, Shimoga circle and Round Table India - 166, Tirupur circle, built two new classrooms. These two classrooms along with the existing three classrooms allow each of the five grade levels of the school to have their own classroom.
During 2007, BEFC built an outdoor covered stage in the school grounds based on the requests of the teachers, parents, and students. This outdoor stage helps the teachers, students, and parents to hold school related functions in a comfortable and more conducive learning environment.